DEFINING BRAVE - MY THOUGHTS BEHIND THIS POEM

August 8, 2018
I'm constantly finding new definitions in myself; words I didn't think meant a bit to me, suddenly mean the world. And, I love that, because I'm now carrying a thicker dictionary of who I am. does that seem silly? perhaps a little lol!


about two-three weeks ago I wrote the last poem in my journal that I had been filling since November. I told myself "this entry doesn't have to be special, just write." and so, I did. I started it in all capitals up top

DEFINING BRAVE

and without thought to the next sentences, filled in the lines below. this was born.

-------

one who is afraid.
one who doesn't let the fear conquer.
one who tells others to be brave.
one who isn't afraid to tremble.
one who loves while broken.
one who sings while sobbing.
one who can't give up.
one who was born to live.


------

each sentence written suddenly formed another and I was left with the first poem that meant so much to me, I wasn't ready to share it. (yes, I have sharing problems. lolol a 2nd oldest thing) but truthfully, it was because this poem (prose?) were my emotions. for two weeks, I was able to hide the fact that I wasn't brave, yet I told myself because I had written them, I was. #yeahright




this week has been long (and it's only half way through??), full of challenging situations. full of patience teaching moments. Both of those things are hard for me to deal with at the moment, but I also finally was strong enough to share DEFINING BRAVE with you all. 

not because I was brave, but because I needed to be brave. ah, I think you'd all be surprised the meanings/feeling behind some of my poems lol 

p.s. BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR A SURPRISE NEXT WEEK. 

WHAT HAS FORCED YOU TO BE BRAVE THIS WEEK???
IS IT HARD TO SHARE YOUR WORDS SOMETIMES? 

25 comments:

  1. This was sooooo pretty!!! Definitely one of my favorite freestyle poems so far. <3 <3

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. woah, really?!?! that's amazing! thank you for telling me that Amelia <3

      Delete
  2. What's forced me to be brave this week: Finals + switching to a new satellite campus at my college (the big one ahhh)

    Thank you for sharing something so dear to you. I agree that it can be hard to share our words--especially if they are personal and unveil a piece of ourselves we are just seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoa! YOU ARE BRAVE THO!!! so proud of you. <3

      hmm yes, you worded that perfectly. quite what I'm feeling but quite what I'm not able to explain

      Delete
  3. This post came at just the right time. <333

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your willingness to share this when you were ready! Braves an interesting thing and I think everyone has a slightly different opinion based off of their experiences. I need to work on being the brave. GIRL I LIVE THE DICTIONARY REFERENCE. keep shinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was really the moment when I reread it and I realized "this helped me" and I always want to be a help to others xx
      AW WOW THANK YOU VANESSA you too <3

      Delete
  5. Wow okay that poem and your thoughts are amazing and beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow okay, I'm floored and do not know what to say, you're precious xxx

      Delete
  6. Yes, I absolutely love this poem. There are so many times where I write something and I'm like, I don't want to share this with anyone! So I know what you mean. It's hard to be brave sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ashley!!! I lol am the same way!! a lot of my poems are like journal entries, and sometimes I'm like "okay this is easy to share" but when it's tough, idk... it takes a few people to encourage me haha!

      Delete
  7. It's beautiful!
    And PS I love the flowers in your notebook! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at that dress! :) Random question though: do you end up buying the clothes in your dressing room photos? Because normally I take photos of things I don't buy so I can remember them, haha, so I just wondered. :)

    It was interesting to hear the backstory of this [super powerful] poem. And yes, it is so hard for me to share my words sometimes. The closer they are to my heart, the harder they are to share. But then the most they seem to impact others, so.. I keep coming back to how necessary vulnerability is to art and making a difference. It scares me honestly, because it's so uncomfortable. But thanks for being open and honest with us, putting those words into action. xx

    Also, yay, a surprise! I'm looking forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks! And, lol!!!! I DO THE SAME THING. except in this case, this was already my dress that I had altered because it was huuuuggge XD but I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN xxx

      wow, tbh, I thought this post would be boring and nobody would even care *covers face* you're the person who is constantly reminding me how to be brave and so I know that if you can, I can too!! thank YOU Jessica

      me too!!!

      Delete
  9. That was a really beautiful poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What has made me be brave this week? Stepping out when I wasn't sure anything would be there (not literally though lol). A lot of little things that like to roll into one.
    So yeah. And it's always hard for me to share my words, both what's written and verbal, because half the time people don't listen, and the other half there's hardly time to just slow down to have a real talk. Which is why I try and enjoy the little things and short moments that make up life. Else it passes by without a second glance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dude you're one of the bravest people I know!!!!
      whoa. yeah...yikes, I wish that wasn't the truth, but it partly is. I hardly have time to catch up with my parents, let alone friends! It's crazy..it's hard and I don't want it to be "life"
      xxx

      Delete
  11. "I'm now carrying a thicker dictionary of who I am"- I love that.

    ReplyDelete

let's be honest here peeps, comments rock. keep 'em clean and fun and I'll reward you with a virtual ice cream cone

*reluctantly hands cone over*