do we actually listen???

November 25, 2018

are we actually listening to the needs of others 
or are we more listening to their needs in hopes that
they will finally hear ours? 


when I wrote that I was thinking about myself. I love to be heard. in fact, I crave to be heard. If I'm the only one who feels this way, I'll be incredibly shocked. We listen with a divided attention. Half of us truly wants to understand what the opposite person is saying, and the other half suddenly relates somehow or your little brain came up with something wise to say and you just cannot forget it. aka, you're not listening anymore. 

It's really sad to realize that in the moment. I want to give my undivided attention but out of my own human nature, I suddenly feel the need for my wounds to be tended as well. There is a fine line between listening and caring. A truly caring person will listen with undivided attention. Not everyone has that skill, because once you find someone to open up to, I'm not sure we realize the gift we have. That or perhaps it's almost too terrifying.

Either way, I really want to work more on being a true listener in the sense that my words spoken aren't in the way to change the topic. When a person opens up to you, take it as a cry for help. Take it as an opportunity to help someone else heal their wounds.

so 

are we actually listening to the needs of others 
or are we more listening to their needs in hopes that
they will finally hear ours? 

Maybe their isn't anything wrong in wanting to be heard, maybe it's just the ratio of talking vs listening that needs to balance out. 

p.s. happy late thanksgiving and merry christmas

11 comments:

  1. I love how thought provoking this post is! Thanks for sharing! <3
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, have you been reading my journal? This was amaze. <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. um can i get a yes. TRYING TO IMPLEMENT THIS INTO MY LIFE TOO. because it's not just me wanting to be heard, but it's also when i'm busy (@ my job most of the time HAHA) but people need that one person to listen. praying that God will work the patience & slowness into me that i may be able to listen with His ears and His heart. eeeeeeeee. love love. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. and I know what you mean. they really do need that one person to listen and if it's you, I've learned so many wonderful things from listening to others for a few mins. *sobs* amen my dear sister <3

      Delete
  4. Yep. I need to listen :/ too often I realize I spend most of the time a friend is talking trying to come up with something to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been so behind on reading blogs, and then I come back to read this post and your previous one. <3 Your words are some of my favourites - they challenge and inspire me every time. You are an amazing human. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m so much yes. Thank you for these inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW. Just wow.
    This spoke to me so much. I'm sorry to say I haven't read your blog in a while -- I've missed your words!

    ReplyDelete

let's be honest here peeps, comments rock. keep 'em clean and fun and I'll reward you with a virtual ice cream cone

*reluctantly hands cone over*