a few reasons why I love my job

December 5, 2018

As a librarian, you get the chance to connect with so many different people on a fairly personal basis. The books that people check out indicate a lot about the person. I truthfully love my work space so much. and well, here are a few reasons why.


obviously a big one is that I'm around books allllll day long. haha! But truly, I'm not sure if you remember this poem that I wrote about two years ago?

"i saw a homeless man
he was sleeping on the streets of boston
cement for a bed and the sky as his ceiling
i saw a man older than my grandpa
he was checking out a clifford book
he saw the books in my arms and smiled
the man beside him said
"you'll be reading like that soon. real soon."
and you know what
maybe there is no parallel here
i just saw something
pain and beauty
and perhaps
that's how it was meant to be

for now"

I wrote this poem before I was hired at the library. Well, a few days ago I had a light bulb moment and realized the guy in front of me was the man who checked out the Clifford book. It hit me smack dab in the face that I've seen him for months, but somehow didn't make the connection and I promise you, I grinned like mad for two reasons. 1) His reading skills have advanced!! and 2) this is the community I get to be a part of daily. I was inspired. 

now here is the question: should I let the guy know he inspired a poem or do I leave it be? 

I was going to list more reasons why I love my job as a librarian, but at the moment, nothing else tops that. It's a space where I get to be creative and geek out over books and movies with fellow book friends. Not only is it an environment where I feel safe and welcomed, I feel as if I'm being inspired and growing. 

A library is a fantastic place for a writer and poet to work at. Oh, if only you could grasp the character sketches I get! Basically, the library is the place to be. xxx

p.s. CHRISTMAS IS IN 20 DAYS WHAT IS THIS CRAZINESS 

13 comments:

  1. I love this! The poem -- um is really good!
    I work at a cafe where I meet SOOO many types of people and boy does it inspire my writer side. The people you can touch and impact, and the people that impact you. Love this post! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you and thank you!
      Whoa that must be such a fun job too!! and lol!! I know! You make many friends in these types of jobs, I totally agree xx

      Delete
  2. Oh that's awesome!!!! I'm jealous now.... it DOES sound like the library is the perfect place to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw girl!! that makes me sad for you but thank you!! You're so sweet <3

      Delete
  3. That is so awesome that you enjoy your work!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - it helps me so much!!! thanks girl

      Delete
  4. THAT POEM! <3 Working at the library sounds absolutely magical. I love that you get to connect with people over what you love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ERIN. <3 It is magical. It's hard work and you have very very odd and random situations, but it's genuinely worth all of it.

      Delete
  5. now i wanna be a librarian 😭 rip. thanks for the discontentment.

    loljkjk ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's still so cool you're a librarian! And yessss of course I remember that peom. That's so awesome you saw him again. :)

    Nabila | Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait, that is so cool about meeting the Clifford book man again! And seeing that it was only 'for now.' I think you should totally let him know he inspired a poem. :)

    ReplyDelete

let's be honest here peeps, comments rock. keep 'em clean and fun and I'll reward you with a virtual ice cream cone

*reluctantly hands cone over*