LEARNING HOW TO EMBRACE THE PAIN IN CHANGE

September 19, 2018

I've been a bit nostalgic lately. I often get this way once the seasons start to shift...so I start to think back to this time last year and remember what I was thinking and feeling before I was here now. Sometimes that can be painful, but as I've been learning, it is good too. This time last year, I hadn't become as strong of a person I am now, hadn't lost as much to realize the worth in it all, but most importantly, I wasn't the Julia I am at this second. Seasons shift and people do, but learning how to let go of what you've called normal for soooo long, is not easy.

I've been the person who said again and again "I AM NOT GROWING UP.  I REFUSE TO CHANGE. NO NO NO NO NO" and while I thought saying those things might help, I realized my anthem was wrong. In a way, I was shouting for no responsibility, which I've found is not me. In a way, I crave responsibility. I like proving that I can work hard and meet goals.

I've finally sifted it out and have found what I was screaming that whole while was, I was scared to lose my childishness, that in some sorted way, I was going to be asked to give up being me. That hasn't happened and I can proudly say that through all the "adulting" I do, I still have time to play and stay creative.

change will always be scary (still is for me). wrap yourself around people who will be willing to say YOU'VE GOT THIS and then promise to do the same thing in return for them. never ever say "i can't" because that's when you'll stop growing, when change will break you, and when you can no longer say "looking back..that change was good." because you didn't embrace it.

kid. YOU'VE GOT THIS.

p.s read this poem i wrote last year on these exact feelings *points down*

--------------------------

listen close, my wonderful friend
there is a secret which i must spill
it is a secret which i am still learning to realize but here it is nonetheless

the change has become normal

change which we dread
and fight
and detest
has. become. normal.

it isn't something you notice right way
but one day it hits you as you're driving along saying how beautiful it is
that's when you remember how hard you fought this beautiful bc you didn't know it would be beautiful
at least that's how it was for me


slow down. breathe. it's a new normal. and it'll be okay.

xxxxxxxx

24 comments:

  1. AYMEN.

    Honestly, though, I've been struggling so much with change, and this sums up so much of what I've been going through. And I just read the poem in your book the other day (I read it every night when I can, and GIRL, I swear God's using your poetry book in my life to show me things I need to see! But once I finish it I'll email you about it :))!

    Loved the post. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs*

      ahh, yes, I feel as this is a constant epidemic of being unable to fully trust God. Aw you did? It's probably the one I go back to the most and relate to still lolol (AND AHHHHHHHHHHHHHWWWWW YOU'RE JUST PRECIOUS. I cannot wait to hear your thoughts!)

      Delete
  2. This post is so true! I definitely relate to these feelings. Change is so hard. But things are constantly changing, and like you said we need to learn to embrace it!
    Thank you for this great, thoughtful post! And whatever is changing in your life, YOU'VE GOT THIS!
    Thanks for the encouragement! <3
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are! I mean, the earth is constantly shifting!! Even in such small ways every day, we don't notice them even. It's crazy lol
      aw man, I really appreciate that. YOU'VE GOT THIS TOO K BROOKLYNE <3
      thank you

      Delete
  3. I really needed to hear this reminder. Change has been repeatedly hitting me like a stick of frozen butter in a sock. You wouldn't think it would hurt, but it does. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, I've never heard it put like that, but you're right. Thank you <3

      Delete
  4. YES. YES. YES. This resonates so hard with me right now. Thank you for this, Julia. I love it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh I soooo feel you. Thank you for staying you <3

      Delete
  5. At first, I thought "I wish I read this when I was 10." But then I realized that I still needed this so thank you. A million times thank you. <3

    I get nostalgic when summer ends. I also fear adulting but crave responsibility so I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one.

    xx Kenzie | www.paperpizzablog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow, lol, my heart did a little flip thing because you're right. a million times thank YOU

      and ikr???! It's slightly awful but all around good too. and no, you are not the only one, I promise you

      Delete
  6. Just, this whole post... Yes. *doesn't even know what more to say*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gracious, yes. I'm definitely not the person I was last fall, in so many ways. Thank you for this, Julia. <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it such a beautiful thing to realize that??? Thank you Faith!!! xx

      Delete
  8. I almost cried when I saw this in my inbox and when I read this post. Seriously, for the past few days I've been dealing with a sort of depression, especially at night, thinking about how I can never get the "good old days" back and how this moment won't last forever. Its been miserable, and then this post shows up in my inbox, a God-send, and I'm so thankful for it.

    You and your blog are such a blessing, a tool in the hand of God. Thank you. <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kendra. oh, sweet, precious, friend...you have no idea how encouraged I am by this comment. I often write blogposts for myself, as a way of letting me emotions flow, but then I'm reminded that I'm not the only one feeling these things. I then feel no longer alone and then it's all less scary *hugs*

      xxxxx no words <3

      Delete
  9. The coming of autumn is literally the most nostalgic time of the year, right up there with Christmas - it beats New Year's, for me, which I find odd. So I really understand this. And I love these thoughts you shared,Julia <3.
    Love,
    Bri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yess, girl, I 100% get what you. I wonder why? It's an interesting feeling to say the least! Thanks Bri xxx

      Delete
  10. Yesss!!! Lovely :) your poem is so beautiful. SRLY I read it like five times

    ReplyDelete

let's be honest here peeps, comments rock. keep 'em clean and fun and I'll reward you with a virtual ice cream cone

*reluctantly hands cone over*